Planning any party, whether it is an engagement party, wedding shower, baby shower/gender reveal party is exciting but can bring up a variety of emotions for the event organizer(s). Being the person in charge of planning such an event typically means you are in the close circle of the person being celebrated, whether it be your own child, other family member or best friend. Wanting your event to be extra special and perfect for that special someone can create extra pressure for the planner! We all know that food is a large component of any party or shower (along with décor!) so we’ve put together some tips and tricks to making your menu selection a little bit easier and hopefully set your mind at ease as you start your party planning.
In a world filled with “pin-spiration”, the options are endless of what can be done to create a lifelong memorable experience for your guest of honour. Once you pick your theme, you can create a menu that ties into the décor and truly sets off the day. Below you will find some tips that can help you along with planning your selection of food and beverages for your event:
1. Bite sized food is typically best suited for these types of events. Having a variety of bite sized food to nibble on allows your guests to snack throughout the event, but also creates a fun ambience (see below for some of our favourite bite sized appetizers).
2. Your menu can be used as décor and can tie together elements of your theme. We recently prepared a circus inspired menu for a circus themed event: mini candy/caramel apple bites, mini homemade corndogs, red & white striped bags of popcorn, a variety of sliders and much more!
3. Use custom decor like Paper & Parties’ diamond donut/cupcake toppers (see below) or custom “Boy or Girl?” cake topper! These adorable touches add that next level of fun to your food without adding huge additional expense!
4. Punch – everybody loves punch! If your event will be alcohol friendly offer an alcoholic and non-alcoholic version of your punch.
5. Sweets are always a hit at showers! There are many options for indulgent treats such as cake, cupcakes, candy bars etc.
6. Have a rough idea of how many guests you’ll have so you can determine how much food you’ll need. Typically for a satisfying snack, you would offer 5 to 7 “bites” per person for the first hour of a party, and 2 to 3 for any subsequent hours, where a full meal may be 10 to 12 “bites” for the first hour and 2 to 3 for any subsequent hours. If you feel you are going to have leftovers, have a few cute disposable containers on hand so guests can take some snacks home with them!
Some of Fork & Knife Catering’s FAVOURITE Bite Sized Items:
Chicken & Waffle Bites
Sweet & Spicy Soy Ahi Tuna Spoons
Braised Short Rib Profiterole
Mini Burgers and Sandwiches
Seafood Salad on Endive Spoons
Cheese & Charcuterie Boards
Mini Lemon Curd Tarts
Chocolate Dipped Cream Puffs
Mini Dessert Cups – Chocolate Mousse and White Chocolate Pana Cotta
About Fork & Knife Catering
Fork & Knife Catering provides high quality culinary creations, hand crafted by Executive Chef Van Dam and our talented team. Fork & Knife Catering provides Corporate, Wedding, Special Event, Movie & Film Industry, and Private Chef Catering Services to Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.